I. How Did I Get Here?
1. Pro re nata (when necessary)
2. Sometimes we see the future
3. Adjusting our lives
4. Chaplaincy doesn't scale
5. Finding your own voice
6. 10 reasons I need to be a chaplain
7. Before you do things that might bring you to the Emergency Room
8. A working list for life after a difficult diagnosis.
II. What Does It Mean to Be a Chaplain?
9. Chaplains and pastors
10. A practicing chaplain
11. Fragile treasures
12. Holding hands
III. What Kinds of Tasks Does a Chaplain Do?
13. Bringing PEACE to hospital visits
15. More than a filed form.
16. Liturgy of near death and life
17. Some things words can't change
18. Spiritual consult
19. The blessing of the hands
20. Walking down the hall with a priest.
IV. How Do I Take Care of People?
21. Promoting healing and recovery
22. Shared journeys
23. God listens but I almost don’t
24. Waiting for
25. Relational regrets
27. Saying "Thank you"
28. How to live with gratitude
29. Looking for Jesus
30. A little visit
31. A Rock and a Hard Place
32. Navigating hope and despair in ER conversations.
V. How Do I Deal With Death and Dying?
33. What not to say after someone dies.
34. "I'm sorry."
35. This is hard
37. Holding tiny babies
38. The Blessing
39. Holding on
40. Ready to go.
41. A conversation with kids about death
42. Talking about talking about death
43. I couldn’t be there when they died.
VI. How Do I Carry Scripture With Me?
44. Living the song of ascents
45. A song for early morning
46. Romans 8 and Alzheimer's
47. A mid-week renewal
48. Needing wisdom
49. Lessons from Job
51. Joy in the midst of grief
52. Emotional Jesus
53. Kicking the slab
54. Hospital hermeneutics
VIII. How Can I Get Better at This?
55. Study. Obey. Teach.
56. Making sense of our actions
57. Practicing the hard conversations.
58. Call until you reach someone.
59. Emotional Triage
60. Simple Compassion
61. Evidence-based Practice
62. What I learned by being in the hospital
IX. How Do I Pray, Anyway?
63. Hospital Prayer
64. Prayers of a hospital chaplain on the way to a Code Blue.
65. A prayer for the person at the edge of life and death.
66. Helen's story
67. Becoming Heart Specialists
68. Bill and Amy
70. A Litany for a Monday
71. Asking for courage.
72. Avoidable miracle requests
X. How Can We Communicate Better?
73. Adaptive Communication
74. Love and anticipation
75. Easter: Mary
76. Potluck and Pie
Acknowledgements and Disclaimers
About the Author
Appendix: Intensive Care Units
Before You Walk In Copyright © 2021 by Jon Charles Swanson. All Rights Reserved.
Comments are closed.